Free knitting pattern: Light Flyweight

light flyweight

Here’s the simple pattern of Light Flyweight sweater. There is not too much pattern in this to be honest, the pieces are almost rectangular and the shape is partially created while making the narrow crocheted edges. The flair of this piece comes from the generous dimensions and luxurious material, the sweater is so oversized that you can drape and gather it in multitude of ways. Narrow, too long sleeves balance the outlook. Yarn is lovely laceweight kid mohair-silk blend.

You need:
4 balls of Rowan Kidsilk Haze
8 mm knitting needled
blunt point needle for sewing
2.5 mm – 3 mm crochet hook

Size and gauge:
This garment is one size and will fit from s to xl. If you are short ar very tall you might want to adjust the length. The horizontal gauge is about 8-9 sts for 10 cm. More important than the exact gauge (the dimensions are so generous that small fluctuations are totally acceptable) is that all cast ons and cast offs are loose enough. So work your technique with a swatch until you get absolutely no pull for your gauge.

Chart:
light-flyweight

Front and back (identical):
Cast on 120 sts to 8 mm needles. Be sure that the cast on edge is loose enough. Knit stockinette stitch for 63 cm. On RS knit 40, cast off 40 loosely enough, continue working with remaining 40 sts.

Right shoulder: On the 1st RS row with 40 sts cast off three sts on the beginning of the row. On the second, third and fourth cast off one st. On the fifth cast off remaining 34 sts.

Left shoulder: 1. WS, purl, all RS knit. 2. WS cast off 3 sts from the beginning of the row, 3., 4. and 5. cast off one sts from the beginning of the row. Next RS cast off remaining 34 sts.

Sleeves:
Cast on 24 stitches. Knit stockinette stitch. When piece measures 13 cm increase one st on the left side, 26 cm on the right side, 39 cm on the left side, 52 cm on the right side. When the piece measures 65 cm cast off all 28 sts.

Finishing:
Block or steam the pieces lightly. Sew the shoulder seams from the top using backstitch – all seams are sewn in similar way. Sew the sleeve seams. Measure the sleeve opening from top just in case and pin the side seams together leaving an equal sized opening for the sleeve on the top. Sew the side seams from the top. Now attach the sleeves to the body but turn the sleeve seam on top, continuing the line of the shoulder seam. Sew from top.

Crochet 2 rounds of single crochet stitch on the hem and sleeve openings. Gather the garment lightly while crocheting, don’t try to make a pouch shape, aim for slightly inwards turning hem for slightly softened shape (see the image above to get the idea). Crochet 2 rounds around the neck opening, but now see the diagram and gather the garment in between marks so that the neck opening will be approximately 98 cm altogether (or adjust the size to your taste).

More images in this post and here.

22 Responses to “Free knitting pattern: Light Flyweight”

1. Reunasilmukka » Tiedoksi… Says:

August 5th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

[...] Kevyen kärpässarjalaisen ilmainen neuleohje löytyy nyt enkuks täältä. Tulossa myös suomeksi [...]

2. kittykitty Says:

August 5th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Thank you so much for the pattern. It is really a beautiful knit.

Thanks again.

3. KaSil Says:

August 6th, 2009 at 4:01 am

Oi kiiitos!!!! <3

4. Dominique Says:

August 8th, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Love your knits! this is beautiful

5. puttermeister Says:

August 9th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I really like this idea and am going to fave it on Ravelry immediately!

6. Intiaanikesään « puikkomaisteri Says:

August 10th, 2009 at 9:26 am

[...] että lämpimistä illoista saadaan vielä nauttia ja kesä jatkuu pitkälle syksyyn, laitan tähän linkin Yarnedin ihanan ohueen tunikaan. Kaikessa yksinkertaisuudessaan todella kiva ja Suomen [...]

7. yolie Says:

August 10th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

really lovely. i’d like to try it but i have one question about the sleeve instructions.

does this mean you increase once at 13 cm and then once again at 26 cm and then?

8. Kamicha Says:

August 13th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Yolie: yes, just one increase at the time, first in left, then right, left and right, + 4 sts alltogether.

Thank you all for your nice comments!

9. Rachel Says:

August 19th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Wow, this is gorgeous! I just found your blog via a link to your best in show necklace on WhipUp. It’s gorgeous! I would love to link to some of your projects if you didn’t mind.

10. Time traveller? : The door in my wardrobe Says:

August 31st, 2009 at 6:07 am

[...] tops with harem pants, picked a flesh toned silk tank, my own super-oversized silk mohair knit (free knitting pattern here), a broken studded belt and distressed leather boots with rubber embellishments. The result looks [...]

11. Leopard Dog Bed Says:

September 30th, 2009 at 1:48 am

I have been searching for information like this for more than a month now. Glad I persisted.

12. Mops Says:

January 7th, 2010 at 8:28 pm

OMG! This is GORGEOUS! I am so making for spring in black. Thank you so much for posting the pattern,
    I have a similar sweater from the early 90′s but the yarn is thicker and the dimensions are smaller. I think I meant it as a beach coverup.

13. Joyful « A gilded yarn Says:

January 7th, 2013 at 7:46 am

[...] projects with high impact. The blue shades in the photograph I recently bought for Kamicha’s Light Flyweight sweater, which is knitted on Eur 8 mm needles. This is going to be my next [...]

14. jojody Says:

May 19th, 2013 at 12:05 am

Black is a perfect backdrop. Really perfect for a bright color. – YOR Health

15. Dennis Wong Says:

November 10th, 2013 at 5:23 am

This is cool and so awesome. I will surely adopt this idea to knit my own stuff. Thanks for sharing.

16. leather shoes Says:

December 31st, 2013 at 1:46 am

After looking into a handful of the blog posts on your site, I really appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
    I saved it to my bookmark website list and will be
    checking back in the near future. Please visit my web site as
    well and let me know your opinion.

17. This week | Says:

January 10th, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] so lecker schmeckt. Gestrickt nach 2 jähriger Pause wieder an meiner goldenen Version des Light Flightweight Geplant Bedford und eine längere Version von Acadia als neue Strickprojekte […]

18. social anxiety Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 10:27 am

wonderful post, very informative. I’m wondering
    why the opposite specialists of this sector do
    not understand this. You must proceed your writing.
    I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

19. gel tips Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 11:40 am

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills
    and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a
    paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is
    rare to see a great blog like this one today.

20. leather watch strap care Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 2:41 pm

If you want to obtain much from this post then
    you have to apply such methods to your won blog.

21. eyeliner brush Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hi, I check your blogs daily. Your story-telling style is witty, keep
    up the good work!

22. Stephanie Says:

April 12th, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Wish I knew what blogs every one was looking in 2013 and 2014.

The only blogs I see are from 2007 to 2009. The last one was August 2009.

I’m trying to figure out if this website is even monitored any longer.

I want to buy a pattern and would love some sort of response.

Tried emailing, but that didn’t work either.