I’m back!

Ohoi… …I’s me! I know that is has been terribly quiet in this blog in this spring, butt I have an explanation. Sort of. In my studies I have drifted somehow to making animations and some sort of realtime visuals – and oh boy, those are time consuming crafts. Plus there is no chance to knit while doing either of those, so my actual knitting time has shrinked down to one third (or less) compared to the times gone by.

The slower knitting pace has also forced me to think of my knits and myself as a knitter. Unfortunately many of my knits lie in my wardrobe untouched since the photoshoot for the blog. I’m not able to incorporate them to my outfits. I really do enjoy knitting as a process, but on the other hand I really would like to produce clothes that I actually want to wear. Now this is even more true, I don’t have too much extra money to spend on yarn.

I know that things have changed in my way to dress myself up, too. There is less pressure for formal wear, and I find myself playing with layers and volume more and more. Some – not all – of Wenlan Chia’s knits fit to this approach pretty well. I actually wore the Karate Sweater today when visiting grocery shop – oh yes, the morning was chilly, now the sun seems to peek out a bit…

juhannus

My scarves I tend to use frequently (at least in wintertime), and when I wear ankle socks in my boots they certainly are a handknitted pair. I love the idea of Butterfly dress as a part of my layering experiments, although I hesitate to taking Her Fragility out of the garment cover. Selma cape has also found her way to regular use. But that’s about it, folks.

Now I need to figure out what to do to all of the unused garments. I see lots of giveaways happening in the near future, somehow frogging is really difficult for me.

7 Responses to “I’m back!”

1. thea Says:

June 19th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Glad to hear you are having fun with a New Hobby – I find knitting to be kind of cyclical – it’s always there when you have the time, and when you don’t, it can wait. As for any unworn knits, you may want to save them for the future – after all, they are gorgeous and you did create them out of your own efforts! You have a great style and eye for what looks lovely on you and I’m sure the pieces could come in handy in a future job or lifephase?

(Not that I wouldn’t be open to winning one…)

2. ania Says:

June 19th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Does this mean you wont be publishing the notes on your version of the changeling sweater ? It was such a success and looks so good on you !

But I agree with the previous poster, not only knitting, but all crafts are cyclical. They are meant to bring enjoyment…if a new hobby/art form/craft is consuming you now. Enjoy.

(Although I too would be more than delighted to try to win one of your fantastic creations).

3. michele Says:

June 19th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

saw this outfit on your flickr stream earlier today – it looks great. and totally wearable just about anywhere (when it’s cool out).

the issue of wearability is one i think a lot about too. some of my knits (scarves mostly and the occasional jacket) get a lot of wear.

other knits just don’t get worn. i wish i wore my Habu jacket more. i’m giving away a few sweaters too.

i thought that yellow Habu cashmere tank looked fabulous on you and also the striped chevron top.

4. Asiye Says:

June 19th, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I love the outfit.
    Know where you coming from. Just started a cardigan, because I wanted to learn how to do a top-down cardigans. But as I am knitting I had to admit to myself that I wont wear it… so i am changing the pattern to something I hopefully will!
    adore your knitting so sure you will find ways to wear all your gorgeousness
    and welcome back see you soon again
    xo

5. Vanessa Says:

June 19th, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Good to see you back again! :-)

I was thinking about the same issue just the other day – being a process knitter myself. I’ve found that I don’t actually wear a lot of my knits, other than scarves or hats. For some reason, I always find my knits to be too delicate to wear out in my day-to-day life. However, I’ve always admired your styling of your knits and especially love your habu cashmere tank and your Tea Rose tops. I also love seeing and hearing about your experimentations with knitting processes and layering.

6. Kamicha Says:

June 20th, 2009 at 10:37 am

Hi all, thanks for your nice comments and kind words!

Yes, I’m going to publish the Changeling notes, that is on my summer to do list.

I’m not planning to stop knitting, but the page will certainly be slower, plus I think that something might change in the style of the garments I’m going to knit.

So funny to know that others have the similar issues with handknits… …maybe we all should do something to this!

7. Gena Says:

May 17th, 2013 at 1:40 am

It is possible to do these with regards to the things made on the particular unit. – Matt Schilit