Can you really call this a pattern?

Rowan Anna socks are not a piece of cake. The “pattern” was a tube of simple lace stitch with sock attached to it. Not the best option for woman with considerable calves but tiny ankles.

anna1.jpg

Looks like this. Somehow I can’t believe that perfect fit is achieved simply by stretching this tube vertically…

Well, I have nothing against shaping socks with changing the needle size when this is done nice and gradually. But now this is not option, because my smallest needles (2 mm) probably won’t shrink the circumference enough and the gauge is on the tight side already. So, how to incorporate some decreases to this pattern?

anna2.jpg

It goes like this. On the knit all -round, after the round containing three yo:s simple 2tog decrease aligns nicely to diagonal lines of the pattern. Decrease in every other repeat first, and after a while to the rest. Additionally 2,5 needles for the ankle. Look, some shape I’ve got!

anna3.jpg

Pattern tells to make the leg 41 cm long. 41 cm of stretchy lace – whoa – those would warm up a regular giraffe after washing and blocking! My sock leg measured 30 cm after knitting, 38 cm after washing and very gentle blocking.

I’ll bet that the model had safety pins behind her ankles on the Rowan mag photoshoot

6 Responses to “Can you really call this a pattern?”

1. Katriina Says:

June 1st, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Hahaa! Luulin että minussa on vika, purkuun meni, enkä ole viitsinyt kokeilla sen jälkeen. Ja se pituus… Malli kuvassa on varmasti 220 cm pitkä.

2. Beth Says:

June 4th, 2007 at 6:44 pm

OH MY GOD! We said the same thing about the model having the socks pinned in the back! Too funny! I love what you did to yours. I will have to remember that when and IF I make these socks. I finished the Sprial Boot Socks and they are keepers!

I have the Twinkle book too, your sweaters are GORGOUS!

3. Kamicha Says:

June 4th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Thaks, Beth! I laughed about the same thing when I found out your story about Anna socks – I was searching for other solutions to calf shaping. Got to see your new socks right now!

4. Aran Says:

July 30th, 2007 at 11:36 pm

I agree about these. I made a pair that turned out great, but I had to make them shorter than called for in the pattern, and I switched to smaller needles for the ankle and calf.

This is how they turned out:

5. Paul Kadri Says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 8:27 am

A very nice sock design. I like it very much.

6. All State Van Lines Relocation Says:

January 5th, 2014 at 12:39 am

Certainly a great idea. Love this design.